mrrrk.net

Yet another narcissistic load of old cobblers that no-one will ever read.

It isn't easy being green

None of my wind turbine and mast components actually need painting since they're made from either plastic (possibly glass-fibre reinforced) or galvanised steel.  However, the thing will be hoisted 3.5 metres in the air and be in full view of me, my wife and various neighbours and so I spent some time last weekend painting the wind turbine and the tube clamps to make them stand out less.  As you can see, this is truly a green energy solution:


 

Rather than paint the tubes, I wrapped them in brown PVC electrical tape:

 



The instructions on the paint tin specified a temperature range of 15 °C to 25 °C for application.  The painter himself would have appreciated a temperature in that range too but the paint and I had to put up with a mere 5 °C along with splashes of rain carried into the garage by gusts of unwelcome wind.

The plastic parts were sanded over with some roughish sandpaper to provide a key and given a couple of coats of primer followed by a couple of coats of green gloss.  I gave the blades more coats since they'll get the most punishment.  It'll be interesting to see how well the paint stands up.

Here's a scruffy diagram of what I'm trying to build:


The tube is split into two sections to be joined by the T-piece.  This is so I can man-handle the tube plus turbine section and make it easier to erect.  The wires will also run through the T-piece and into the shed.


The bottom base plate will be fixed to concrete with self-tapping concrete bolts.


I'll also be adding some MDF reinforcement inside the shed on the other side of the T-piece + base plate since this will be taking quite a lot of lateral force and torsion when the wind blows hard.  I did wonder about trying to calculate some of the wind loads - but then I reasoned that the shed is basically an enormous sail - and it's still standing.  It can handle a bit of extra push.  I hope.

Loading